Welcome to Beech Class
Here is where you will find all the home learning resources your child will need while your child is at home. The overview of tasks explains what is required each day. If you have questions, please email the school office.
Home Learning Information Sheet
Below you will find folders with a series of daily lessons for English. You may wish to use them if you are looking for a structured approach. They include useful guidance for parents.
Further down in the 'Maths' section a link to 'White Rose Home Learning' has been added. Here you will also find a week of lessons each including a useful video clip and worksheet to complete.
Phonics and Spelling
Reading and Comprehension
Creative Writing Prompts
Topic Related Activities
Curriculum Information Booklets 2019-2020
This half term our topic is 'Superheroes’. The topic is History based, with English, Science and Art being closely linked.
- In English we will be using the text 'Send for a Superhero'. As writers we will become authors of our own superhero comic style stories. We will also be writing about real life events, such as a recount of our trip to Claydon House.
- As Historians, we will be finding out about real life superheroes. We will learn about significant individuals such as Florence Nightingale, Mary Seacole and Edward Jenner, why they are remembered and how they made an impact on our lives today.
- As Scientists we will be studying Animals and humans in the topic 'Growth and Survival'. We will learn about the offspring of a variety of different animals and about the ways in which animals reproduce. We will explore how humans grow as they get older and find out what animals and humans need to survive. We will find out how to eat a healthy, balanced diet and why exercise is important to keep our bodies healthy. As part of ongoing scientific enquiry over the year, children will continue the topic 'Seasonal Changes'.
- In Design and Technology we will be designing and making a healthy sandwich that is fit for a superhero. We will taste and evaluate foods and follow a recipe to make our own bread. We will use our knowledge of nutrition from Science lessons to support us in our designs.
- RE will be based on the question 'How Should the Church Celebrate Easter?’
- In PSHE we be exploring the Big Questions 'How do we grow and change?' as part of our personal development.
PE will continue to take place on Wednesdays and Thursdays – please make sure that children have their PE kit in school, this can be left in school until half term as children may occasionally need it for other activities. Children should have a grey or black tracksuit to wear for outside games.
Individual Reading Books
Please be aware, as part of their increased independence in KS1, the children are expected to change their reading books themselves. They are given a daily opportunity to do so with guidance from an adult. When you hear your child read at home, please do remember to sign your child’s reading diary and make a note of the next page number or a finished book.
Please keep an eye out for further information relating to these upcoming events this term:
- Claydon House Trip
- Mother's Day Breakfast
- Easter Service